Gerrardstown, WV 25420
ill Creek Manor was built in 1898 by G. Will
Groff, an orchardist and businessman who installed the
first gas lights in the area. This Victorian manor house
retains most of the original woodwork, staircase and
yellow pine floors, along with stained glass in the
living and dining rooms. The house contains antiques,
period reproductions, and family pieces.
For a brief history of Gerrardstown, click
Mill Creek Manor lies adjacent to
the 1743 Gerard House, one of the oldest known buildings
in West Virginia. The Old Stone House, as it is sometimes
referred to, was built of vernacular limestone in 1743 by
John Hayes for the itinerant Baptist minister, John
Gerard. The House was restored in 1976 and is listed in
the National Register of Historical Places and is a
Berkeley County Historical Society landmark.
The Gerard House was used for living, church meetings,
and at one time a tannery. It is reported that
inhabitants once fought Indians from the house.
John Gerard willed the house and property to his son,
David in 1787. David Gerard divided the property into
lots to encourage settlement on the west side of the Blue
Ridge Mountains. Most of the lot lines are still intact
The house contains two fireplaces made of limestone and a
trap door between the two stories which was used for
accessing rooms inside the house. The floors and beams
are hand-hewn Chestnut.
The Gerard House Gifts, a bouquet of Victorian, Country
and Americana handcrafts and gifts made by local
artisans, is housed on the first floor of the Old Stone